STUDIO 17: KNOWING AUDIENCES
Term ‘knowing audiences’ can be understood both ways – to know and understand an audience or the audiences knowing/being aware of something.
A studio that is based on the researching, understanding and theorising the audiences. The influence media is producing on the audience and how different groups of people get affected by the media they consume through advertisements, TV, newspapers etc.
This week we discussed topics such as :
- FILMS GLAMORISE VIOLENCE – to what extend it is artistic/valid/acceptable
- ADVERTISEMENTS MAKE PEOPLE BUY THINGS THEY DON’T NEED – depends on a target group/audience + social cultural influence
- CHILDREN NEED TO BE PROTECTED FROM EXPLICIT IMAGES – explicit limits differentiate depending on the individuals/parents
- TV MAKES PEOPLE LAZY – TV is for the already lazy people or it makes them to be so? social reasons?
- MEDIA GIVE PEOPLE UNREALISTIC IDEAS ABOUT BODY SHAPE